Beginners question....

Topics: Developer Forum
Sep 5, 2007 at 11:37 PM
I am sorry to bother all of you on a beginners question. I looked at the docs to see how to download the source via cpc and have installed all additional apps (fxcop, etc) but am stumped on how to run the add-in in debug mode. I run the app, it launches the IDE but the Refactor menu is not found. Do I have to register the dll in order for it to be present in the IDE? If so, is there a doc I am missing to do this?

I am not an E & C type developer, but I like to step through the code to become comfortable with the execution flow and use the QuickWatch to see object structures and their values.

I am planning on adding the following to the Resource tool:
1. Variable detection within resource strings (inserts with String.Format)
2. Optional Culture(Culture Code) passing, for ASP.NET user localization (not server /app based)
3. possibly multiple replacement review per file.

regards,
D.
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2007 at 3:57 AM
To run the add-in in debug mode, the addin descriptor file location in %AppData%\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins directory must point to the debug dlls.
Sep 8, 2007 at 7:10 AM

bertanaygun wrote:
To run the add-in in debug mode, the addin descriptor file location in Document and Settings\<current user>\%AppData%\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins directory must point to the debug dlls.

Thank you for the reply. I must say it was a bit tricky finding the elusive directory... To give anyone else reading this thread starting out more assistance. You will need to install the app for the directory to be present. I had uninstalled it and which took the directory away - as I believed a system without the runtime, may be a better starting place with just the project to complie.

thanks again.